So I was sitting around one day, thinking about all the spare time I had (yeah right!) and wondering what I could do with it. I grew up watching both of my parents compete in many road races and triathlons and did several in my younger years with the highlight being a half Ironman while on the triathlon team in college. After that I took a break from triathlons but enjoyed watching and cheering on my dad, sister and brother in their races. I liked being a spectator but recently starting thinking about how much better I liked being on the racing side. So last spring Jason and I sign up and did a sprint distance race. This was a first for him and the first in a long time for me. He was hooked and I was re-hooked. We had hoped to race more over the summer but our plans and reality just didn't work out. In August we went to Louisville to watch my dad and Sean compete in the Ironman. My dad had said this was his last race (unless he qualified for Kona) and I wanted to be there. If you've never watched an Ironman, it's incredible. I think it's pretty much impossible not to be motivated by what you see. Jason was ready to sign up that night, I took a little longer to think about it. We were already planning on signing up to do a half Ironman in May, and now we've decided go for the full in Louisville next August. We are going to need a lot of help along the way and truly appreciate our family and friends who will help us accomplish our goal. It's not going to be easy, but that will just make the accomplishment so much more worth it.
I once said I would only get a tattoo of the Olympic Rings or the Ironman symbol after I participated in either of those things. Well, in my early 20's it didn't look like either was going to happen so I got a tattoo of the sun (it made sense at the time...) Maybe one more tattoo is in my future...
No comments:
Post a Comment