Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Back to training

So after resting for a few days, I was anxious to get back to training.  And with the Chicago Marathon just a few weeks away, I needed to get back to training! 
My first workout was an easy 30 minutes on the elliptical, the Friday after the Ironman.  I had wanted to go for a run that weekend but it didn't work out so I ran on Monday (Labor Day).  I did a nice easy 3 miles and felt ok.  Just a little stiff but nothing hurt.  The next two days I was busy getting ready for and starting school.  On Thursday I was exhausted, but really wanted to get in a good workout.  During nap I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, did my weight lifting circuit, then decided to go for a run when Jason got home.  I ran about 4.4 miles in 43:16.  I felt a little "off" and tired and walked the hills.  In retrospect, probably a little too much for one afternoon...  On Saturday I set out for my first long run since the Ironman.  I had a plan of 8-10 miles depending on how I felt.  I started slow to try and give my legs lots of time to warm up.  I headed down Senseny and over the bridge that had been under construction for months.  It was finally open and it was nice to be able to run right over, but I kind of missed my little stop there!  As I ran into town, I still didn't feel great but wanted to get the miles in so I kept going.  I turned around after about 4.5 miles and headed home.  I walked a bit more than usual and stretched a few times.  I finished the 9 miles in just over 1 and a half hours, but didn't really feel like it was a great run.  I realize it's not even two weeks since the Ironman and I should cut myself some slack, but with only 4 weeks to go until the marathon, I'm worried about not getting enough miles in before it.  I know, I need to chill out...
Sunday was a rest day.  Well, a non workout day, but with our crazy schedule, it wasn't very restful!
Monday morning started back at the pool.  I was looking forward to getting back to swimming but had to let my tattoo heal for two weeks before getting in the pool.  And since I want it to look awesome forever, I followed the directions :)  I felt pretty good in the pool and had a nice 2650 meter swim.  That evening I met up with Janel for the Winchester Wheelmen Bicyclists Awareness ride.  We met at a bike shop, there were about 30-40 members of the group, and we did a group ride complete with police escort.  We rode all around the streets of downtown, with police on bikes blocking the intersections for us.  It was a lot of fun!  And it was a nice pace so Janel and I got to catch up, we hadn't really had a chance to talk since the race.  It was a nice 10 mile ride and afterwards we treated ourselves to ice cream and probably consumed at least twice as many calories as we had burned :)
Tuesday evening I ran my 6 mile loop.  I started off slow and easy and picked it up as I warmed up.  And finally, I felt good!  I finished the run in just over 56 minutes and was happy to have had a good run. 
This morning my alarm went off.  Then went off again.  Then I guess it went off a few more times but I don't remember looking at the clock until I saw 5:30.  AGH!  I'm supposed to be in the water then!  I briefly thought about skipping the swim since I was going to be late.  Instead I hopped out of bed, grabbed my stuff in record time and made it to the pool, only about 15 minutes late.  I warmed up quickly, had a great workout, and am very glad I didn't skip it.  This afternoon I was back in the basement.  I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, then my weight circuit.  My legs were feeling a bit tired so I cut down on some of the leg exercises but doubled up the upper body exercises.  I'm feeling good and strong!
Whew, that was a long update!  And now, time to rest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment