I had a great training weekend. It started early Saturday when I was on the road just after 6am for my long run. I am starting to really like running this early. Other than the early wake up, everything else is a plus. Cooler temps, less traffic, I feel better in the morning rather than working out in the afternoon, and I get my workout in with the rest of the day still left! Anyway, I had mapped out a 13.5 mile route and started cruising along at my comfortable pace like I usually do. I had my Camelbak and was drinking water every once in a while, and ate something (Shot Bloks once, a Gu the second time) every 45 minutes. That seems to be working well and I will try to keep that plan as my runs get longer. I ran around the hospital and headed home, feeling great so I picked up the pace a bit. I finished feeling great in 2 hours 10 minutes. I had a few minutes to catch my breath than Jason was off on his long ride and the kids and I were outside playing!
Jason did his long run Sunday morning and I had plans to meet up with Janel in the afternoon for our long ride. I had mapped out a 60 mile route, it wasn't anything exciting but it was on roads I had ridden before and felt comfortable with. I found some other routes online but I didn't want to have to worry about trying to follow directions while riding. And now that the rides are getting pretty long, I don't have the time to go out and drive the route before hand! So after getting everything situated, Janel and I were off. Earlier in the week I took my bike to the shop to get the gears worked on and I was happy that they seemed to be much smoother, but there was still a clicking noise. I tried to figure out what that was and make it stop but not luck (ended up taking my bike back today, hope they get it fixed quickly!) We cruised down Senseny, over the hill I don't like, and down towards Millwood. There's a nice section of rolling hills on this road and I felt awesome! I didn't want to run out of energy towards the end of the ride so I tried to hold back a little, but it was hard because I was feeling good! We stopped quick just before 15 miles and I ate some Shot Blocks (my bike plan is water as needed, electrolyte drink every 5 miles, eat every 15, that seems to be working really well). We cruised back and had another quick stop at a 7-11 just before 30 miles. I got a Gatorade to refill my electrolyte drink and then ate half of a Bonk Breaker (PB&J this time, not bad!). We crossed over Rt 7 and out towards Charlestown, the same route I did last weekend. I was still feeling great and very happy with how we were doing. The wind was picking up and there were a few really strong gusts and strong headwind for a lot of the ride. Thankfully the temperature was in the 70's which was nice. If only that could stay the rest of the summer and for race day! One more stop around 40 miles, I ate the rest of the Bonk Breaker, and we headed back. Janel knows these roads much better than I do so we got off the main road to ride on some with less traffic which was nice. We passed a few horse pastures and I tried to pretend we were in Louisville :) We finished our 60.1 mile ride in just over 3 hours, 30 minutes with an average speed of just under 17 mph (I meant to check my bike computer for the exact details before leaving it at the shop but forgot). This was the longest ride that I have ever done and it felt great! And I got to catch up with Janel which made it go by a lot faster! We each enjoyed our hard earned Coke before she headed out and I got back to helping with the kids.
Jason headed to California for work early this morning so no swim for me. I hit the trainer during nap with intentions for an easy spin, but turned it into a pretty hard hour. My legs felt pretty good so I decided to work them! Then did my weight circuit and upped all my reps. Feeling great!
Doing so good, very proud of you guys.
ReplyDeleteIt is great to see the pure joy in your eyes when you talk about training and how good you feel. Love seeing you so happy!
ReplyDelete