Sunday, June 10, 2012

It can be done

Since we started really training for the Ironman, a lot of people have said, "I don't know how you find the time to train."  Well, here is how we did it this weekend:

Saturday
5:30am - I got up and ready to run.  I was on the road by 6am headed out on my 11 mile route.  I enjoyed the light traffic and didn't have to wait at all to cross the bridge that is under construction.  I felt pretty good as I ran along and was thrilled when my finish time was 1 hour, 44 minutes (almost 5 minutes faster than last week!) 
-I got home, tried to stop sweating while I cooked eggs for breakfast, then took a quick shower
8:30am We got on the road and headed to the Massanutten Waterpark to celebrate Conner's second birthday.  We had a great time and it was so much fun to watch the kids get more adventurous as they got more comfortable with everything going on. 
2:30pm - Back in the car heading home.  The kids both fell asleep and I was soon after (thank you Jason for driving!)
4:00pm - Home, Jason got ready and headed out for his run.  I played with the kids and started to get the birthday dinner ready.
6:00pm - Birthday dinner for Conner, cake and festivities.
8:00pm - Jason put the kids to bed, I headed to a neighborhood ladie's night.
11:00pm - sleep!

Sunday
7:00am - Jason got up with the kids so I could sleep in a bit
8:00am - I got up, Jason got ready to ride
9:00am - Jason headed out on his ride, the kids and I went to Sunday School
-Home after church, quick lunch and I got ready to ride
12:15pm - Jason had the kids under control, I headed out on my ride.  By now it was getting pretty warm and as I started out, and my legs were pretty tired.  So I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a fast ride, but more of a test of how I handle the heat and to keep pushing myself to get the miles in.  I went down Senseny, up the hill I don't like very much, to the 7-11, then across 7 headed towards West Virginia.  The traffic wasn't too bad and the route was flat-ish.  My plan was to drink water as needed, electrolytes every 5 miles, and eat something every 15.  I got to the 15 mile mark and decided to wait until my turn around to stop and eat something.  I found a nice place to pull over and tried a Bonk Bar (peanut butter and banana flavor).  It was pretty good but takes a lot of chewing so not something you can eat fast.  I drank some more water and then headed back.  My average speed to this point was 17.7, so I was pretty happy with that.  I started to feel a bit more sluggish but tried to keep pushing myself.  I was cramping a bit and not able to get very comfortable in my aero bars, so I did most of the ride more upright and tried to stretch out my midsection which seemed to help.  Just after 30 miles I ate a Gu in hopes of getting a burst of energy for the home stretch.  Well, that didn't really happen but I finished ok, with a 16.9 avg for the ride.  A little slower than I wanted but it was my first real hot ride and I think I dealt with the heat pretty well.
3:00pm - Tried to stop sweating while grabbing a bite to eat, another quick shower then we were off to a church picnic
8:00pm - Back home, kids in bed, we won't be far behind!

It was a busy weekend, but we had a great birthday celebration for Conner, spent time together as a family, attended social functions, and did some great training.  It's not easy, but it can be done!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Conner. Your Mom and Dad are awesome. Where there is a will there is a way, aslong as you have happy, cooperative kiddos.

    ReplyDelete