Sunday, April 1, 2012

Good training weekend

This weekend we were down in Marion visiting my parents.  My mom was having a big garage sale so I helped with that while Jason hung out with the kids.  I was able to run away (literally!) when the garage sale slowed down and got a good run in.  I headed down through some neighborhood streets for a bit then on to Rt 11 and headed north.  My knee had been a little sore in the morning, was a little sore as I started to run, but then felt better as I warmed up.  I ran out 30 minutes, choked down a Gu, then ran back.  Later I was able to measure the route and it was 6.2 miles in 1 hour.  I felt good while running and am pretty happy with that, and also very happy that I was able to get a run in. 
Jason got up with the kids Sunday morning and I was able to sleep in a little extra (so nice!) and our plan was to get a bike ride in before heading home.  After a delicious breakfast, a cup or two of coffee, and getting comfy on the couch, finding the motivation to go workout was not easy - but we did it!  We took off down the country roads that start pretty hilly.  It's amazing how much easier I get up the hills now vs. when I rode that route in November.  I'm still a little cautious on the downhills, usually holding the brake and not in the aero position.  We cruised out for a while and found a good turn around spot in Sugar Grove, about 11 miles out.  A quick stop for some water and a Gu and we were off again.  I felt really good on the "flat" areas, strong and pretty comfortable on the bike.  Up a few more challenging hills and then a nice long down hill as we got closer to the house.  Finished the 23 miles in a little over an hour and a half, with an avg speed of 14.9 mph (with a low of 6.7 mph and high of 37.3!).  I used to dread riding the bike but am starting to really enjoy it.  My new bike is awesome and I've put in a decent amount of training indoors which I am happy to see is helping outside.  So far, the only thing I think I need to adjust on my bike is the seat.  The current one is a standard one that came with it, but I have an extra female seat and I am hoping that will help add a little more comfort.  Looking forward to the next ride outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment