Monday, August 13, 2012

All about me

Most of the time I am not a "center of attention" kind of person or one who likes to brag about themselves.  Well, this post will be different :)
I had several goals when I signed up to do the Ironman, in addition to actually completing the race.  Mainly, I wanted to get in better shape, lose weight, and feel better about myself.  After several months of training, I'm happy to say I've done all of that, and more.
-In November, I weighed 166.5 pounds, then I gained several over the next few months...  My waist was 38 inches, hips 41, arms 12.5 and thighs 24.5.
-In May, just after the Knoxville 70.3, I weighed 167.5, waist was 37.5, hips 40.5, arms 12.25, and thighs 40.5.
While those numbers were an improvement since November, I was not really happy with them.  I kept thinking, I'm working out a lot, how come I'm not skinny???  I looked at pictures from the race and didn't like how I looked.  I had just done a half-Ironman and I didn't even want the pictures to show it, how sad is that?  I was in denial that I really did have to change what I ate, even with all the working out I was doing.  So with a refocus on food, and a little weight loss challenge with a friend, I set a goal to get to 155 over the next 3 months.
-Last Friday was our final weigh in.  I weighed 157 pounds, my waist is now 35.5 inches, my hips are 39, arms 11.5, and thighs 23.  And my smile, well that's hard to measure :)
I love how I look and although there are still a few things I want to continue to work on, I think I'll be happy to order my next race pictures!
 Yesterday I had to run a few errands that took me near an Old Navy.  I decided to go in and just see what size jeans I wear now (last year I wore a 12, and they were sometimes a little tight).  I grabbed a 10 and then an 8, just to see..  I put the 10 on first, they were big.  I couldn't believe it.  I put on the 8, and they fit, comfortably.  I had tears in my eyes.  I can't even tell you the last time I fit into that size.   So even with a few more weeks of summer, I had to buy these jeans.
 And of course you can't buy jeans without a new top, so I got one of those too.  Check me out!
 Makayla got up (on her own) to give me a hug and said "good job mommy."  And that makes all the early mornings, long days, and all the food changes totally worth it :)
In addition to achieving these goals, going through this training with Jason has been awesome.  We've motivated each other when we've needed it, shared our training victories, and will accomplish this incredible race, together. 
I've also developed a wonderful friendship with my training partner, Janel.  Since Jason and I had to trade off for most of our training, I did a lot of my rides with Janel and enjoyed all of our conversations as we piled on the miles. 
I love the example we are setting for our kids.  They see us working out and know that's just what we do, and they want to be outside and active too. 
With less than two weeks to go, I look back on everything I've accomplished so far and I couldn't be happier.  Finishing the race and being an Ironman will be the icing on the cake :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you. I love seeing you so happy and you deserve to brag about yourself and how much work you have done. You look great and are showing our kids by doing not by talking. Love you.

    ReplyDelete